Make your own free website on
Draperstown Under 16's
Cookstown U16 1-2 Draperstown U16
Players Appearances
League Table
League Cup Table
Goal Scoring Chart
Guest Book

Cookstown U16 1-2 Draperstown U16

Draperstown progressed into the final of the league cup with a deserving victory over rivals Cookstown. Although a draw would have seen them through, Draperstown were determined to hold onto their 100% record so far this season and did so with a deceiving scoreline, as their margin of victory would easily have been 3 or 4 goals.

Draperstown acknowledged the fact that a draw would suffice by playing a lone striker, though with their attacking midfield it often seemed as though they are three or four strikers.

The first half was very scrappy, with Cookstown obviously playing cautiously and defensively, as a conceded goal would mean further lengthen their chances of progressing. This therefore limited the chances for either side, though on a few occasions Draperstown came close to breaking the deadlock, with a few long-range shots that the opposition keeper couldnt seem to hold onto.

However, with a bit of luck and flooding their defence with countless men, Cookstown managed to keep the game scoreless. Draperstown made one change, with A Kelly replacing G Kelly. Draperstown then sparked into life, and starting creating some decent chances, some of which were unlucky not to go into the net.

However, with ten minutes gone in the half, Higgins did manage to score. Some good build-up play ended with Higgins guiding the ball into the very corner of the net from the edge of the box.

At this stage Quinn came on for Warnock.

Yet Draperstown did not slack off, even with qualification almost certain at this stage. And they were further rewarded ten minutes later when McKillion intercepted a ball in the Cookstown half. McKillion then beat one man, pushed past another and struck a curling shot into the top corner of the Cookstown net.

Cookstown then tried in vain to get back into the match, but resolute defending by Draperstown, especially from Taggart and McSorley stopped all chances of a revival. Kennedy then replaced McClenaghan, and within minutes with causing problems to the Cookstown defence.

A few minutes later, a through ball by Kelly sent Kennedy racing through. From an acute angle Kennedy managed to get a shot in, which unluckily struck the post and rebounded out. Minutes later Quinn nearly added to the lead, but shot just wide of the post.

Cookstown never gave up however, and with only a few minutes remaining were awarded a dubious penalty. The tremendous McConnell however saved the penalty excellently. Much to his dismay however, the ref ordered a re-take for encroachment. An outraged McConnell then received a yellow card for his protests. The re-hit penalty then went into the net, which further enraged McConnell.

The whistle blew shortly after, and was greeted by cheers from the Draperstown lads who had made it into the final. A few unsavoury scenes then ensued, with the undisciplined and disappointed Cookstown players reacting badly to being knocked out of the league cup.

With the other league cup section unfinished, it is unknown just who Draperstown will meet, and the date and venue of the final is also to be announced.

Starting Line-Up (4-5-1): JP McConnell, K McCullagh, O Shaw, D McSorley, G Taggart, G Kelly, J Higgins, G Conway (C), D McKillion, J Warnock, M McClenaghan
Subs: J Quinn, A Kelly, S Kennedy